Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Things come in threes...

Hey everyone,

Sorry that I'm slacking, I've been super busy finding jobs, visiting home w/the hubby and mom, and a bunch of random little errands in between. The good news? I've been going to the gym every day since last weekend. So far, so good. The Winter Shape Up (Fitnessista.com) is something I'm determined to finish. And, someone once told me during my time of emergency medicine that things come in threes. This may be true in the life of an EMS-er, but it's also true for circuit workouts, and fun finds at the health food store. :) So first of all....today's workout:

I did a variation of what she posted for this week's circuit workout (see her site for those specifics) and ended up doing the following:

Cardio:
*30 minutes on the elliptical (~280 calories)

Weights: (repeated circuit three times)
*Dumbbell frontal raise (10lbsx12 reps)
*Plie Squat (x12 reps)
*Medicine ball twist (10lbsx10 reps on each side)
*Chair Squats (these KILL) (12 reps)
*Hammer Curl (15lbsx10reps)
*Good mornings (10lb weightx 12 reps)
*Tricep Kickbacks (10lbsx12 repts)
*Bent Knee Leg Raises (12 reps)

Phew! After that? ~600 calories. Nicely done, and I have the exhaustion to show for it...

Rewinding back to this morning, I went out to breakfast with my mom at a local cafe and enjoyed some freshly baked multigrain bread with a little jam, and a veggie omelet :) (Mind you, i was almost done eating at this point...only ate half)


I managed to stop by Healthy Living Market today on the way back to my apartment, pre-gym. Fun finds?

Pirate Booty, veggie style:

I know it sounds disgusting, and I thought it would be when my Aunt told me she fed it to my cousins sometime last year. But, they loved it and I realized it's pretty tasty. It's very similar to smartfood, but just a little healthier and with a few seasonings.

A KIND brand granola bar that I (tried) to enjoy on the way to fill out a job application before work. The good news? The job I was applying for was at a local gym! The bad news? This granola bar was gross:

Turns out this wasn't such a good choice...ew.

Anndd, lastly, some mint carob-covered rice cakes:

YUM. YumyumyumyumYUM. It may sound gross, but carob tastes like chocolate and the whole experience is like a healthy, filling girl scout cookie minus the calories.

As for the rest of the day, I enjoyed a delicious smoothie made out of:

* about a half cup OJ and half cup Almond Milk (maybe less) (120 cals)
*3/4 to 1 cup mixed frozen berries (70 cals)
*1/2 banana (50 cals)
*2/3 scoop Designer Whey protein (vanilla) (75 cals)
=315 cals



YUMMM. This is my new favorite, easily. The almond milk sounds gross but it actually goes really well with the orange juice. I dare you to try it out.

Then I proceeded to eat the not-so-delicious granola bar mentioned above with a little Pirate's Booty, and brought a Cabot Vanilla Bean greek yogurt to work with me which I enjoyed with a small salad w/chevre.

I'd love to continue, but I have to get some rest before my 45 minute cardio sesh on the elliptical tomorrow morning. Anddd I need to get some new songs for the playlist before I die of boredom.

I'll show you a few more things I found at the grocery store tomorrow, anddd something to look forward to: I'm going to try to make my own granola bars.

And yes, I have that much time on my hands before work :)

<3, Jenna

P.S. For future reference, one of the MOST uncomfortable things you can do in the winter is take a cold shower post-workout. I got back today and found (once I got IN the shower) that our water wouldn't heat up, and proceeded to rush through a colder-than-lukewarm shower that turned my little fingernails purple. Not fun, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here!