Friday, January 15, 2010

Ohhhhh Omelets

Hellooo there!

I jump started my morning with a trip to the grocery store to buy ingredients for tonight's delish dinner: Rachael Ray's Chicken Divan Egg Noodle Bake. With eggs on the mind, I was inspired to make an omelet for breakfast. I keep hearing that egg whites are the way to go, so instead of going with the egg puff of the last few days I challenged myself to my first egg-white-only omelet. I used:

(NOTE: For anyone who ends up reading this blog, I decided I'm going to try to give calorie totals for the foods I eat when I have time. This way I can keep track, as well as give meal ideas to others who are interested in trying these meals out! For the calories, I use caloriecount.about.org. They aren't always 100% accurate, but it is a fabulous website for an idea of what you're eating. Check it out!)

*3 egg whites= 48 calories
* 1/2 cup mushrooms= 15 calories
* 1/2 cup fresh broccoli= 30 calories
* 1 tsp EVOO= 65 calories
* 1/2 pat butter= 22 calories
*1 oz or less of extra sharp Cabot shredded cheese (my favorite): 110 cals


All together? About 300 calories, give or take.

With it, I treated myself to some pre-sliced mango slices (two at about 50 calories each) and a half cup of red seedless grapes (about 50 calories).


And for a closeup of the yummy ingredients...

Breakfast total? About 475-500 calories, and a pleasantly-surprised 400 at that. The omelet was DELICIOUS. To spice it up, I added a little SPIKE seasoning given to me by my mom, some salt and pepper and a small diced shallot. MMMMM.

After my breakfast adventure, I made myself a small cup of coffee with splenda and a little half and half (about 30 cals). I decided to skip out on snacktime since I was so full from my morning meal and headed downtown to meet up with a friend for a coffee break at the beloved Starbucks. (Pictured: my favorite, a grande soy misto with some sugar in the raw, or splenda):


After dropping her off at work, I got back to my apartment around 3:15 and decided to make myself a little smoothie! I have been trying to convince myself for months now that smoothies aren't worth eating unless there is some sort of fiber or protein in them, so while I was out grocery shopping this morning, I stopped at Vitaminworld for this lovely item:

Designer Whey protein, french vanilla style!

In my smoothie, I added:
*1/2 container of Chobani plain greek yogurt= 50 cals
*1/2 medium-sized banana= 50 cals
*1 cup frozen berries (strawbs, blue and rasberries)= 90 cals
* 1 scoop vanilla protein powder= 100 cals
* 3/4 cup OJ to cancel out the proteiny taste= 75 calories
For a grande total of about 365 calories. Not bad considering that was my lunch. How was it? SOOO much better than I expected...sometimes that protein is a real party pooper for the palate.



Now, I'm headed to get started on my dinner (the Egg Noodle Bake) and get in some quality yoga time. I'll post pics later tonight or tomorrow and will hopefully be able to calculate an approximate calorie count for that as well.

Later tonight, I'm headed out to have a drink (not-so-waist-friendly, I know) with some friends and then bed.

See ya laterr! <3, Jenna

P.S. My new goal is to drink more and record how much water I drink in a day. I need to keep myself accountable because I KNOW I don't drink enough. Today's total? Three glasses :( Tisk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here!